Date – 28 October 2023 (Saturday), 11:30am –01:00pm
Assembly at Po Shan Drainage Tunnel – Landslide Sci-Tech Chamber, Po Shan Road, Mid-levels
The Po Shan Drainage Tunnel consists of a pair of drainage tunnels with 3.5m diameter and a total length of 500m. In 1972, a catastrophic landslide happened in Po Shan hillside due to high groundwater levels. The disaster shattered numerous homes and took away 67 lives. To prevent similar cases from happening, the Geotechnical Engineering Office (GEO) of the Civil Engineering and Development Department (CEDD) decided to lower the groundwater table by installing horizontal drains, in hope to improve the stability of the hillside against large-scale slope failure. However, in early 2000s, monitoring data shows that some horizontal drains have a decreasing trend of water outflow. Therefore, the GEO has designed the Po Shan Drainage, an innovative and sustainable groundwater regulation system with an automatic real-time groundwater monitoring system. The system allows GEO to control the groundwater levels, reducing the risk to public safety.
Free of charge
Registration & Enquiries
- The maximum number of participants is limited to 22 on a first-come first-served basis with priority given to members of HKIE Civil Division.
- Applicants who have already successfully registered to or participated in more than FIVE (5) visits organised by Civil Division in the session 2023-24 will be given lower priority during the process of registration.
- Please visit https://forms.gle/i6UcqSWSDhWqEGiZA for online registration.
- Applicants are required to provide YOUR COMPANY NAME and YOUR POSITION for registration.
- Only successful applicants will be notified on or before the visit.
For enquiries, please contact Mr Nicolas Lam (61314311) or Miss Jane Leung (91339066) or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.